There are no ugly women, only lazy ones _ Helena Rubenstein

July 25, 2010

Curl Evangelism


I was in Sally’s Beauty Supply today, finally breaking down and buying a Denman brush (No. 3). It was the only one they had left. While I was studying the brushes I couldn’t help but over hear a conversation in the aisle between a white woman and one of the sales clerks. The white woman was with a little black girl whose hair was divided into several small Afro puffs. Very cute.  The sales clerk was showing her wide-tooth combs for combing the girl’s hair. When the clerk left her to go get some other product, I heisted, and then I couldn’t help myself. I butted in.

To my credit, I at least asked permission first. Did she want some advice? She said yes so I told her to be sure and wash the girl’s hair in sections, and only comb it when it’s wet, do the detangling while her hair is saturated with conditioner. Was I out of place? It didn’t seem the clerk, with her straightened hair and fake ponytail was going to be much help. I could have gone on and on, but tried not to be too intrusive. I think the woman was a foster mother because she said something about needing to learn to take care of the girl’s hair because it looked like she was going to be with them for a while. My parting advice was for the woman to get on YouTube and search for videos about natural hair care and children. I hope she does it.

This has me thinking too. Career coaches will tell you to have a 2-minute elevator speech about yourself. If you meet a potential employer in an elevator could you quickly describe your skills and attributes before the doors open again? Maybe I should have a two-minute how to take care of kinky hair monologue for the white mothers and other black women I run into who want to know how do I take care of my hair.

It might go something like this: Pick products that stress moisture and are for curls and are preferably sulfate-free. Work with your hair in sections. Detangle and comb (wide-tooth comb) only when it’s wet or damp. Get a good leave-in and a good moisturizer and a satin or silk scarf. Search natural hair care on YouTube or Google.

I hope the woman at Sally’s remembers my advice. Maybe I should get a job there.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog