There are no ugly women, only lazy ones _ Helena Rubenstein

June 29, 2010

Natural in Nature

It’s been years since I went hiking in the mountains and never before with my natural hair out _i.e. not braided. Never again. Part of my problem was not planning well. I was in church all day Saturday and tuckered out when I got home. I was just coming off of the flu, so I was still very low on energy. I went to bed without washing my hair and my hair needed it.


But I thought I had a bright idea. I’d do a wash-and-go in the morning with KCCC before we headed up to the mountains that afternoon. All was fine and good when I got in the car. The KCCC, along with the KC Knot Today left my hair nicely defined and moisturized. But the next morning, despite oiling my hair and tying it down with the satin scarf, it was poufy, and dry. I tried to revitalize it with some KC Spiral Spritz, but I don’t think I used enough. I put on a sun visor (which I hate because it has a Velcro clasp that catches hairs no matter how careful I am) for the hike. My hair was just not protected enough. Sweating in the dry mountain hair, my hair seemed to get bigger and bigger. It fell victim to every low hanging tree branch. I got a head full of pine nettles! My hair was a hot mess!



I had to wash it when we got back to the hotel, but I did not pack my wide-tooth comb. I co-washed with the hotel conditioner and detangled with my fingers. Not pretty. I squirted more KCSS in my hair, twisted it up in two big flat twists and used a hair clip to hold the ends. I wore it like that to dinner with my husband.





I felt more presentable in the morning when I untwisted it. But it still feels dry. Definitely doing a deep conditioning treatment tomorrow.


Next mountain adventure I’ll twist my hair up, and wear a scarf and a hat. No more naked natural in nature for me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog