There are no ugly women, only lazy ones _ Helena Rubenstein

April 12, 2009

Curly stylist

I love my hair stylist. I feel very fortunate to have found her. Her name is Missy Vaz and she works out of the Mykal Grant salon in northwest Denver. When I met her, she was still styling hair in the basement of her house.  She had finished cosmetology school and gotten her license and was looking for a salon.  I found her the way you’re supposed to find one _ by asking other women whose hair I admired who did it.

 

         I had Missy’s biz card for about a year before I called her. She had colored a friend’s kinky-curly hair. My grays were coming in pretty rapidly and the home dye I was doing was making my hair look dark and dull.

 

         Missy has naturally curly hair _ 3B and she is supportive of women trying to stay natural, but with highlights. For the big Passover Seder banquet this past weekend, I had Missy cornroll the front of my hair and leave the rest curly. She twisted my hair and I sat under a dryer for only 20 minutes and then she took the twists out. I didn’t totally love it, although my son was very complimentary. My husband said nothing so I know he didn’t like it. But I liked the idea that I can leave Missy’s chair with my hair just as curly and kinky as when I came in, while all around women are getting their hair blown straight.

 

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog